Sunday, January 08, 2006

The TMI Files.Hunning for decent driving music.

When driving, music is essential. It's just the passengers that get in the way of your listening pleasure.

One of my driving favourites is the band Hunters and Collectors, affectionately known as the Hunnas. I discovered them in my teens - when I was 18, the first gig I ever went to was a pub in Ballarat to see these guys. I went on my own, which was pretty daring for me in those days. And in these days, too, now that I think about it.

I lost count of the number of times I saw them around Melbourne and the inner suburbs. I saw them at the Seaview Ballroom, at the Greek, at the Corner and plenty of others. (It pains me to admit that I never saw them at the Espy. My bad.)

They had one of the most electric live presences I've ever experienced.

And as a good friend once commented: a Hunnas gig was the ultimate male bonding experience. There is nothing like a room full of a couple of hundred drunken blokes screaming out "You don't make me feel like I'm a woman anymore!"

Okay, I'm not a bloke, but it was always something to be treasured.

Back in 98 when they broke up, I was in Brisbane. They were doing a national tour to say sayonara, so I gathered up a bunch of mates and we saw the Hunnas at the Morayfield. I got drunk, I danced, almost got into a punchup with some other sheila there (her boyfriend got her out of my face lol), and I unfortunately have a lot of photographs of that night in my collection out in the garage. It was a great night.

Early Hunnas are the best for driving. There is always a kickarse base line, great lyrics and melodies that stay with you forever.

Bugger. Now, I'm going to be singing Hunna's songs to myself all night.


I wish I could wean Magilla off Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat so I could listen to my music more often.

4 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Jai Normosone said...

You could always start Magilla on a few rock operas in the hopes that she will appreciate real music rather than the crap that is around now.

I wonder what people would think hearing a youngster of pre-school age belting out 'Herod's song' from Jesus Christ Superstar? :)

I mean, that wouldn't come under religious tolerance laws in Victoria considering that it is offensive to devout Christians. It's only offensive when you say potentially offensive things about the "non-infidels" (does calling them "misguided" qualify as offensive? How about "paedophile worshippers"? :)

In any case, it sounds like Magilla is going to get a grounding in REAL music :)

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Heh. She likes opera. She sings along with it if it's on the teev. She also likes Weird Al, so she's definitely got great taste so far.

I'm planning on getting a new copy of Starlight Express - I'm about over Joseph.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Jai Normosone said...

Starlight Express? I have the snakey feeling that I have acquired that from somewhere on vinyl.... :)
Is that the one with the art deco steam locomotive on the cover?

Never listened to it though....

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Ujan sharma said...

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free.


মনটা কথা শোনে না লিরিক্স
আমি তোমাকে ভালোবাসি লিরিক্স
ওই ডাকছে আকাশ লিরিক্স
মধুবালা লিরিক্স

 

Post a Comment

<< Home