Thursday, December 08, 2005

The TMI Files. More on feeding.

Unlike the House Husband, I've not been able to expand Magilla's culinary circle using words alone. if she wants it, she wants it. If it looks the slightest bit questionable, then nothing, nothing! will get that new morsel past her lips.

I've tried playing airplane, train and trainwreck.

I've pulled faces, and snarled and yapped and grovelled.

I'd even allowed her to stir the pan occasionally. As a rule, that's not something I'd recommend with an overactive toddler, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Now, I've taken it a step further, and..... SUCCESS!!!

She helps cook. And I mean 'help' as in provide assistance.

While I'm grating carrot, she's operating the chopper with the tomatoes in it.

While I'm dicing onion, she's stirring the sauce. And the inevitable pasta, of course.

Since we're now cooking with gas, I've got to become hypervigilant. This is good, and it works, because I caught her just as she was checking out how hot the flame was on a wooden spoon. She won't be trying that again in a hurry.

She has been eating pasta with her homemade sauce all week. It helps when you can pick your own oregano from the garden - it adds an extra element to the whole exercise, I guess.

(For a bit of diversity, I've been duly advised that spiders are 'nummy' and the green fly was, too. Gack!)

At least we seem to be easing up on the insects. I know, plenty of protein and all that, but still....

I'm making chocolate mousse next week for a family get-together, so we'll see how she goes with that one. The fun part will be separating the eggs, I reckon.

And for all you chocoholics, my moose recipe ROCKS!

3 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger Caz said...

Oooh - I'll bet my chocy mouse against your chocy mouse ANY day!

Mind you, I have the most faaaabulous chocolate cheese cake recipe too - have never come acoss anything else like it, and I've been using the recipe for more than 20 years (found recipe when I was just a young 'un, truly).

I think my baby burnt her fingers on the iron once, and twice on the stove; they do learn, but seem determined to test it out, just in case you're telling them lies, or something. Fortunately only minor burns - I think the sound of Mummy screaming and grabbing is a much bigger fright factor than the heat.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

hehe.

Well, since I'm not actually going to have time to make moose before saturday, we'll just have to wait until next week for the eggs. Got to bake a cake for christmas day, so that should be good fun.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Jai Normosone said...

Well... If there is chocolate mousse around, there is rarely a fight to share it as I once heaved my guts up on it - laughing too hard while eating too much.... :)

I have more of a tendency to cook old stuff. I once found a cake mix (earlier this year) that had a use-by date of 1997 and I had about 4 or 5 eggs that were almost past their usable date (can you see where this is going? >:)

My fractured logic dictated that "it's flour - it doesn't go off!" and so I made the cake. It tasted OK provided that you didn't bite into it; chew; or attempted to swallow - it took about 4 or 5 bites to double check this.

I'm still hoping like hell that the company who maintain the Gateway Bridge don't find me out as I hurled it out the sunroof of the car as I was crossing one night at about midnight. I think it broke the bridge :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home