Sunday, November 27, 2005

The TMI Files. There was a young lady who swallowed a fly.

I don't know why she swallowed a fly. Or an ant, or another ant, or that blowie.

blech. I don't know what it is with children. I know in the toddler stages they are learning to exert their influence on the world around to see what changes they can effect.

I know that they are testing boundaries.

What I don't know is, why does she insist on eating insects and not good stuff like eye fillet steak? Why won't she eat eggs or oranges or tomatoes?

Okay, she eats pasta, and sausages, and apples, bananas, sultanas and cheese until it comes out of her ears.

But her favourites of the moment belong to invertebrata rather than the refrigerator.

Mind you, it could be worse - my sis apparently used to eat spider webs as a little tacker, and her daughter was caught with a spider in her mouth. Luckily the spider was dead. I think I stuck with the usual mud pies. I'm not game to ask the oldies.

8 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger Caz said...

Err, I hate to tell you this, but it sounds suspiciously like the dip into YOUR gene pool may be the causal link here. Hmm.

However, if it makes you feel a lot better to believe that 'all children' of the world do these things, then I'll just sit here and nod by head in agreement with you. (Excluded from the study are all children in Africa, who may have no alternative to eating the odd insect for a touch of protein each week.)

Anyhoo, what were you saying...oh, that's nice dear, how cute, how sweet, oooh yes she's just like her Mum isn't she .......

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Nilk said...

I'm afraid there's a possibility you're right, Caz.

At the moment, though, she's not trying to eat critters - just filling up the freezer with farmyard animals. Maybe she's trying to give me a hint.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Caz said...

Consider yourself blessed; at least she's unlikely to become a vegetarian. They're so darned difficult to feed!

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Thank goodness for that for small mercies :)

There are, of course, worse things than flies and ants she could be ingesting. Centipedes for one. We've got a few of those in the garden. LOL

 
At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my second son was in the crawling stage I once caught him near the cat's litter box, and never mind what it was that I had to quickly scrape out of his mouth.

He's now 20 and a U.S. Marine, so obviously it didn't hurt him any.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Robert Pearson said...

I have a little guy about to turn one...so this is what i have to look forward to?

By the way, Nilnarf, I recently discovered your excellent blog and am doing a little post and link today. Fun!

Robert

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Thanks for the nice words, Robert. I've been checking out your work, too. Happy to link.

I'm just a bit slack when it comes to adding to the blogroll.

Annalucie, we had the cat tray fenced off more for the cat's sake than the kid's! These days, she keeps away from the tray, although she did try the other day to clean the cat poo out before I got to it. She didn't use her hands, though - she used a teatowel to pick it up! LOL

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Caz (TSSH), they go through stages where they'll eat damn near anything, or nothing at all.

I fed Magilla for 2 years, and I reckon she's now spoilt because of it. She'll never get fat, I'm sure, because the food I cook is nowhere near as good as the food I used to supply on demand.

I was the 7/11 and even my quack told me I should have been a wetnurse. That was when she was 18mnths old. Drove me nuts, but was cheap and easy, so I could cope with that.

Heh. Sometimes wish I was still breastfeeding, purely for the convenience lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home