Monday, May 01, 2006

The TMI Files. Permission Granted.

I'm looking for fulltime work at the moment, and while it's going along swimmingly so far, it will still take a bit of time.

The tricky part of all of this has been Magilla. She has had me on call and to hand for her entire life so far (give or take a few film shoots where I was away on location).

She knows about working, as I do actually do a bit each week, and other people in her life also work.

But full time work for mummy is not quite the same thing, so we had a bit of a chat last week about this new concept.

Nilk: Magilla, you know how (insert name here) has to work and we can't see them all the time?

Magilla: Yes.

Nilk: Well, I have to get a job and go to work too. It means you get to spend more time with Mrs Carer.

Magilla: Nooooo. You're not allowed to.

Nilk: Magilla, I need to get a job and do some more work. We need more money.

Magilla: No we don't. We have money.

Nilk: We need more money. If we have more money we can do more things. You know how when we go shopping, you give the lady your money and she lets you have the chocolate? Well we need more of that money.

Magilla: No we don't! You're not allowed! You can't!

Nilk: I have to, Magilla. If we have more money we can do (this) and (this) and (that), and we can also buy more clothes and (stuff).

Magilla: Don't need clothes! Don't want (stuff).

Nilk: If I get a job and go to work more, and we get more money, we'll be able to afford a dog.

Magilla: A puppy?

Nilk: Yes. We can't afford one at the moment. We need more money.

Magilla: Okay. You can go to work.


Just as well I want a dog.

7 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger Caz said...

Gorgeous. Who needs Mummy all the time when you can have a puppy?!

Small glitch: does Magilla understand that puppy will not be allowed to go to childcare with her?

Big adjustment for both of you though, particularly if you go into a full time job. But hopefully the benefits are greater than the costs - in the long term you have to look at the benefits for both of you, so you're probably doing the right thing.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Not yet, Caz, but she will. She's pretty cluey that way.

It is a huge adjustment, but it's also a necessary. There are things that we both need that I can't supply with what we have.

I've always said that when the time is right I'll go and get a job, but Magilla's early years have come first.

There are enough studies out there now showing that the first three years are the most important, and throughout those years, continuity of care is one of the most important factors. (Too lazy to find links.)

IT doesn't matter who is supplying the care - mum, dad, nana, the bloke down the road - so long as it is stable and continuous.

She's had that. She was almost 12 months old the first time she had a night away from me. She was 5 months old when she went into daycare for a half day a week - we both needed the space - and it's been gradually brought up to 3 days a week.

On occasions where I've had longer shoots of 5-10 days straight, either she's stayed with family for those days, or I've worked around the hours with her.

Now, it's time to move to the next level. Sort of like Donkey Kong, I guess. :) If I could clock that, then I'm sure I can clock this.

I do want a dog, though. I'm just trying to think of what breed. Probably a mongrel, rotti/staffi cross or some such. Something that can be trained up with Magilla, but also with sense enough to not be too possessive.

I'd love a bully but wouldn't be able to commit to entertain it too much at first. I'll wait a couple of years for that one.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger The_Editrix said...

Great Blog!

Thanks for your kind comment at Roncesvalles.

I have blogrolled you. I really appreciate a view from down under.

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story and good luck! Now you just need to find someone to stay home with the dog...

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't suppose her father, or any of his relatives, are available to help out.....?

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Jai Normosone said...

I'll save Nilk the trouble of replying in this regard: "Don't even go there."
(BTW - it's not me).

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Nilk said...

Heh. Thanks, Jai. It's okay, though, and it's also all sorted.

I'm thinking about posting on childcare options and facilities here in Oz so that I can address AnnaLucia in more detail. (The short answer for AnnaLucia, by the way, is "no", but you get that.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home