Friday, February 17, 2006

The TMI Files. Valentine's Day? What Valentine's Day?

Oh well, missed it again, apart from a couple of nice wishes (thanks, guys *kiss*).

I've never bothered much with Romance and Flowers and stuff like that. It's nice, but not necessary. If I really, really want flowers, I can go down the florist or cut some myself. I can take myself out to dinner even, and I'm always buying myself chocolate.

I tend to think of romance as more a state of mind than anything specific like cards and flowers.

Heh. Of course, this could be because I am bitter and twisted because I didn't get any flowers, but looking into history, the last bloke who bought me flowers for Valentine's Day was a psycho who abused me because I didn't say thanks for the roses that I didn't receive. He did send one, and apparently more than the first, but I didn't get them.

So I went from being wonderful and worthy of a trip down the coast on his bike to deserving to die. Go figure. I think I can live without that.

Mind you, another memorable Valentine I received was 'anonymously' sent by a fellow that I had broken off a relationship with. If he was trying to win me back, it sank without a trace along with the line "If you work at this relationship I promise we'll go to AA!" (What's this we, white man?)

In five and a half years no card for Valentine's Day, and he thinks that sending one months after I've left him is going to work? A decade down the track and that still cracks me up. I guess it takes all sorts.

In any case, I think I'd prefer a dinosaur!

2 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger Jai Normosone said...

(cringe moment for you...) "Trust me" when I say that the rumours I hear were saying that you *were* going to get something on the 13th. Something to say that you weren't forgotten but it didn't buy into the bitter & twisted hatred that some have for that particular day. (not me though - just indifferent to it. I like to send greetings to those I think would appreciate being remembered by *someone* - *anyone* :)

Besides - flowers are better delivered in person and at a time when they're not expected :) Valentines Day is nothing more than a day to try and find the perfect gift - again. Surprises are always much better.

I'm always amazed about the red rose thing on V-Day as well (unfortunate initials for the day, eh? VD :)
My thinking is that a white rose signifies purity and that you send them to the one you are truly serious about. THE one.
Yellow is for close friends and people special to you.
Red means that the sender is hoping that you're good for 10 minutes in a public toilet before moving to the next conquest.

Anonymous V-Day pressies are bad news.
If you get something from someone and it's not from your significant other and you thank them for it: you're in trouble.
If you get something from your significant other and you don't thank them for it: you're in trouble (presumably because "...you're fooling around!").

Simple solution: stay single or be true to the one you're with :)

Grrr-rrr >:/ Threatening to kill you because you didn't receive a gift. Like it was your fault. You CAN live without that.

I dunno about the AA thing... It looks like you can't hold your plonk if you feed it to your keyboard.... :)

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Jai, I never expected anything anyway. :) I think the whole thing is a bit of a wank. As you say, it's nicer when the flowers or pressies are unexpected.

I did get some nice messages, though, which count.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home