Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The TMI Files. Fumbling Fists of Fury.

Magilla Loves Jackie!

So we've got the dvd of Mulan, and it's typical Disney fare. Nice animation, silly sidekick talking/singing/dancing animal, too many songs that can get in the way of a good tale, same old same old.

It's actually quite enjoyable. It took a while for Magilla to tune in to it, but let's face it, Mulan was competing with Muppets From Space.

I love to check out the extras, and on Mulan there is the obligatory Disney singalong to a few of the songs, and some video clips of other songs. One of the songs has Jackie Chan singing in mandarin and doing some of his kung fu stuff.

Magilla looooooves it. For a few weeks all I got was: "I want to watch Jackie." Hell, I'm not going to complain about that. There are much worse role models out there, so I've seen the clip plenty of times.

There's Jackie blocking and elbowing to the song. There he is thrusting and parrying with the staff.

Then there's Magilla, waving around the 1m ruler, attempting a dragon stance, and throwing punches left, right and centre. Usually aiming for my midsection.

So what's a mother to do?

I've been trying to teach her how to make a proper fist. I mean, if you're going to hit someone, might as well do it properly, right?

I've only got about 12 years of martial arts behind me, so I know a few things. Like how to run away. Fast.

I also know how to make a fist that will hurt someone else, rather than myself, so that's what we've been doing.

As I explained to her: you need to fold your fingers in a certain way, or else you will break your hand if you are going to hit someonesomething.

She's not got the hang of it all yet, and she doesn't have the attention span for it. Luckily for me, I'd already decided to put her into kungfu when she's five.

She wants to be like Jackie.

I think that's a much better call than, say, Paris Hilton.

1 Comments:

At 3:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here's what Mulan looks like in real life!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home