Sunday, March 19, 2006

The TMI Files. One For The F*ck I'm Dumb Bucket!

I discovered something really basic the other night.

I have stereo in my car.

I bought the car almost a year ago after Magilla totalled the car before it. Like something out of an advert for car insurance, I'd left her in the car (the Rust Bucket) while I unloaded the shopping. Usually she would get herself out of the car, but this time she didn't. It was an auto, and she knocked it into reverse. Unfortunately, the handbrake wasn't on hard enough, so the Rust Bucket rolled back down the driveway.

Luckily, there was a post from the carport that just happened to catch the open door. And ruin it. In a car that had lots of gizmos and flashing lights, a door unable to close is a terrible thing. The battery flattened in no time, and with the panel damage (to the door and the front rh panel), it wasn't worth repairing. Not a 20 year old car.

So farewell to the Rust Bucket, and hello to the Death Beast.

Back to the stereo and I....

The Death Beast is a dinky little hatchback, early 90s, black and runs quite ok. It has an old factory radio/cassette in it, and the music only ever came out of the front left speaker.

I have lived with that for almost a year when I had a brainwave a couple of nights back:

What if that knob there was for the speaker balance???

You can guess the rest.

I feel like a right nong!

5 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Violet said...

Okay, but don't tell anybody and they'll be none the wiser.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

I'm trying not to, Violet. :)

As for Bohemian Rhapsody, I've not got it. Sacrilege, I know, but it's not in my collection.

My bad.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Caz said...

Nilk - a few months back I was "giving" a neighbour just ONE last chance before writing them an abusive note. For several nights running, commencing after midnight, someone had been playing a classical CD, beginning to end, at full blast. I had even laid in bed yelling at my ceiling telling them to "shut up", but with fewer manners about it (yeah, a tad futile, but when you're trying to get to sleep & you're angry as hell...)

Come the witching hour, or just after, to be more exact, I was still up with the TV on, and there it was, clear as a bell through the open sliding doors. Noooooooo, was all I could think. And as in past nights, the soft tinkling of classical music gradually became louder & louder.

I muted the TV. Then the source of the music that had been keeping me awake for many nights became all too clear.

Yes, there was my CD player, with functionality that I had yet to master, gleaming at me as the volume grew.

Yes, I had someone managed to set an "alarm", and I set it to play a CD, and it was set to start off softly & get louder (just like the TVs in the fancy hotels when you use the TV radio to wake you up).

Did I feel like a goose? Oh, all that and far worse!

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger MathewK said...

LOL

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

That is a classic, Caz. :) I've done that before. Hell, I left my car unlocked and someone tried to break into it!

There are plenty out there who get hit with the stupid stick. Some of us more than once.

(nothing was stolen from the car, by the way. I'm still laughing about it. Talk about a nuf nuf!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home