Friday, December 02, 2011

The TMI Files. The Betatudes.

Magilla has a few mixed cds of favourite songs, and one fun, perky song is by Guy Sebastian.

He came to prominence a few years back on Australian Idol. I've never watched the show, so can't compare the competition, but he won in 2003. He's been floating around ever since, and has a nice voice, and his subject matter doesn't appear to be smutty.

That last bit is the important bit for me. So many of the latest songs just leave me cold, since I tend to listen to them with my parent ears on. Especially with Magilla now being 9 and, as she tells me constantly, a Big Girl. She's not little any more, so I have to make sure I treat her like the grown up she is.

Of course, if she wants to carry on like a toddler I'm happy to treat her like one. :) She comes good in a hurry when that happens.

In the meantime, though, back to Guy.

According to his bio on wikipedia, he's doing well with his music, he is a christian (from an evangelical AoG church), and has also taught singing at a christian school.

He is famously chaste, which is unheard of in this day and age, and provides great role modelling for young people who so often develop their attitudes via the music videos they watch.

I just have one slight issue, though.

His niceness is just too...well, nice.




Like It Like That lyrics found at elyricsworld.com


This song is boppy, the lyrics are relatively harmless, but it's pure betadom.

I can cope with it, though, because it's not his other song, "Never Hold You Down."

Now that is Ultimate Betadom.



With lyrics like:
I've listened to sweet love and no need for me love
But some dreams don't come true
Coz I know your kisses are on the wish list
Of another lover who wants to
Believe he is the only one you let drive your car
But we all knew how this would play out,
Long before the game started


I am left gobsmacked.

The music is nice and laidback, I like his voice, but I just want to grab him by the shoulders and shout, "Where's your game, man? Where?" I don't want my daughter mooning about listening to a whiny boy.

There doesn't seem to be much on offer for tweens these days, and when I revisit songs from my youth back in the long distant past (yeah, 1980s!), I can pick the sexual innuendo that I never noticed at the time.

The fact that I didn't pick it up then gives me hope that Magilla won't grasp it now where the songs of today leave nothing to the imagination.

It's just that the modern imagery is so blatant. *sigh*

I think we'll stick with Weird Al.

5 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger sfw said...

Does Guy like girls?

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Yes. He even married one!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger sfw said...

It doesn't concern me if he does or doesn't, Being married...... lets see, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Rock Hudson, Oscar Wilde the list is endless. I'm just saying that being married isn't a factor. Like your picture, I'd put mine up but I'm way to unattractive.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

LOL Well, when you put it like that...

I don't think he's gay. I think he's a nice christian boy who's a bit too feminised.

As for the photo, thanks. :) I got sick of the other one, and this is what I look like most days anyway. Beats a mirror, I guess.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Lee Marvin.

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love his new song 'Don't Worry, Be Happy'. Lyrics, this time, make for good listening in stressful times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home