Thursday, May 14, 2009

The TMI Files. *Yawn* Another Mothers' Day Gone.

I'm not a big fan of Mothers' Day.

I haven't been since my mum died in 2001. I don't see the sense in mandatory celebrations of people that should be automatic.

My mum was one of my best friends, and while I have days when I don't think of her, that doesn't mean I don't miss her.



As for the usual queries of "what did you get for Mothers' Day?" Well I got 4 handmade cards, a hairclip purchased at the stall at school, and handmade chocolates.

And another handmade card, I think. I lost count.



People express surprise that I don't get flowers or anything like that on Mothers Day, or Valentines or my birthday or stuff like that, but as I point out... I don't have a bloke around to buy me stuff like that, and even when I did have someone around, flowers were rare.

I do actually have people in my life who buy me flowers occasionally, but that is because they want to, not because it's a mandated day to buy flowers.





Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter whether I get anything or not.

I have Magilla, and through her I get hugs and kisses, cards, drawings, flowers, rocks, and she brought home a bone she found in the schoolyard last week.

Who needs Mothers' Day when I have my daughter?

3 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger kae said...

There's nothing that quite beats the joy of a child giving you a big hug and saying "I love you".
You know they mean it, and they have no ulterior motive.

And they can do it anytime.

I might blog about my friend Ruby, who is (almost) ten, later.

Mother's day is a really good excuse for me to send Mum a couple (always two) of good cards, one mushy one and one funny one.
Next Sunday we're going down the coast (the whole family) for "High Tea", a delayed Mother's Day for Mum and my Sister in Law. We're doing a side trip prior to high tea to Harbour Town (a discount outlet market thingy). MDFD will be coming with us, too.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger kae said...

And I'm with you on the flowers and gifts thing, too. Same reason, no bloke to just bring something nice home because he can and he loves me. *sigh*

I do have friends who occasionally spring surprises on me, or look out for things I need and let me know if they see them.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger MathewK said...

Good for you Nilk, a childs love is more reward anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home