Saturday, February 09, 2008

Nilk Takes One For The Team. (Hopefully)

Coming up in the next fortnight is Haneef: The Interrogation.

The Drum Theatre is proud to present the world premier of Haneef - The Interrogation. This piece is an edited dramatisation of the interrogation of Dr. Mohamed Haneef, the Indian born doctor, who was the first person to be arrested under Australia’s new anti-terrorism laws.

This powerful production draws no conclusions as to “guilt” or “innocence” and stays faithful to the transcripts. One’s sympathies shift back and forwards, from the baffled but helpful suspect to his dogged but courteous interrogators. In the end we feel, as will the audience that Haneef may know far more than he reveals; just as it is equally possible that anyone - even you - would find it impossible to prove your complete ignorance of other people’s criminal knowledge or intent.

Writer Graham Pitts is a nationally recognised playwright who has won many awards. He is best known for his play “Emma - Celebrazione” and his plays and films made with the East Timorese over the past twenty years.


Since I live in the area where it's playing, I've decided to take some time out and have a look at this play.

I stayed away from Hicks the Musical, but it's about time I demonstrated that I had earned my membership for the VRWC.

Any Death Beasts or Blairistas in the neighbourhood are more than welcome to join me - after all, misery loves company. :)

If I do make it and survive the evening, I'll provide a review for all and sundry.

Who knows, it may even be a marvellous and powerful piece of work.*





*Not holding out too much hope - after all, the pieces about it in the papers tend to focus on how hard done by Dr Haneef was, and
Writer Graham Pitts said he was driven to create the play because he felt the Haneef case highlighted a culture of fear cultivated by new anti-terrorism laws.

"I thought, `I've had enough of this'," Mr Pitts said.

He said he felt a "real resentment of anti-terrorism laws that had been passed by this country".

Pitts said the play was based entirely on the transcripts of Dr Haneef's interrogation.

He admitted that the play would contribute to the media spotlight on Dr Haneef, but said "only in a way that I think he will appreciate".

"It certainly doesn't label him as a terrorism suspect," he said.

5 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noooooooo

I was only kidding, Nilk!

Kae

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way, Nilk ... you're from Dandenong? I grew up there -- North Dandy to be exact.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Nilk said...

Nor originally, Ant, but residing in your general (former) area. :)

Small world - who knew you'd find a viscuous member of the VRWC out amongst the bogans lol.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not as surprised as you'd think, Nilk. I grew up in a home where both parents loved the Liberals -- hell, I even voted for the scoundrels a couple of times before I came to my senses.

Luckily, as you'd be aware, voting conservative in the seat of Bruce is a little like urinating: not matter how long and hard you pee, you'll never alter the level of the dunny water!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger MathewK said...

Good luck with that Nilk, don't take any heavy objects with you please, drink coffee... no wait, you might not want to stay awake... scratch that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home