Wednesday, December 05, 2007

When Tony Slagged Off On Cathy.




I reckon that Anthony Mundine would think so - after all, he's one of Allah's Best People himself.




He's just dumped on fellow Aboriginal athletic Cathy Freeman:


Chico Harlan

December 04, 2007 11:00pm

AUSTRALIA'S most divisive Aboriginal athlete thinks that this country's most beloved Aboriginal athlete has surrendered the ability to speak her mind.
Calling her a "sellout", boxer Anthony Mundine said Olympic gold medal-winning sprinter Cathy Freeman cannot be an authentic indigenous leader so long as she's heavily involved in corporate Australia.

"Aboriginal people don't buy that," Mundine said, referencing a leader coming from the mainstream. "That's what happened to Cathy Freeman. She sold out, toeing the line. And that ain't me. I'm not a fake."

Mundine also said repeated times that men, not women, are more qualified to lead. "As far as being a leader, that's not her anyway," he said. "A man can only lead."

Where Mundine has always been raw, Freeman has always been refined.

While Freeman has spent her post-retirement career rubbing elbows with other celebs and speaking about a possible film career, Mundine has decided that acceptance by the mainstream corresponds with a loss of credibility. Not necessarily by choice, he has no endorsement deals.

"If you want to toe the line," Mundine said, "if you want to be some corporate guy and say the right things, do the right things, you might be OK in the media's eye, but it wouldn't be real for me.

"I think Cathy has done a lot for the Aboriginal people, don't get me wrong. But they (mainstream sponsors) control and determine the things she says. I'm not putting anything on her, but at the end of the day, it's got to be a man. She's a leader, but for women," Mundine said.

"I'm not knocking Cathy. She inspired me as an athlete. She's inspired me.

"She is probably the pinnacle Olympian, and we all respect that. But Cathy can't say - 'I don't like this prime minister' or 'I don't like this issue'.

"I want to represent my people properly, and represent the street.

"I'm going on my own crusade ... and that's why I become the villain."

Freeman first emerged as an Aboriginal leader at the 1994 Commonwealth Games, when she waved the Aboriginal flag during a post-race victory lap.

She was criticised at the time, even by the Commonwealth Games head Arthur Tunstall, but she has helped raise awareness of Aboriginal issues.

And who will ever forget that night in September, 2000, her gold medal at the Sydney Olympics, when she became an Australian sporting legend and a national treasure.


Harsh words from the snappy dresser himself, but who can blame him?

After all, I'm sure we're all aware by now that (M)en are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means.

This is, of course, from my favourite sura and verse in the quran.

Basically, Cathy should sit back and let some bloke look after her.

It doesn't matter that she's a highly trained athlete and a role model to who knows how many women of all colours from around the world, because she got herself some corporate deals and got to schmooze a bit, she's a sellout and should shut up.

Hmmm. A bit of the pot calling the kettle black*, I'm thinking.

As for being a role model, how about our man Anthony's little face-saving exercise for the old Catmeat himself.

Not too long back, the Chaser's War on Everything decided to have a bit of a poke at the Sheikh. Needless to say, this did not go down too well with some of his supporters.

Since that sort of pisstake provided much hilarity for the non-muslims here, I suspect some rather harshly worded emails and phone calls were received, which necessitated a spot of backpedalling by all concerned.

Cue Tony to the rescue.

I know Anthony thinks he is keeping it all real, but covering for sheikh's inability to take a joke (Hasn't he heard of Candid Camera??) in a piece that is obviously a set up to show that actually he can take one could be seen as a bit precious, especially as he likes to spout off.

As for Cathy Freeman, I barely hear of her in the news. From what I've seen of her in the media, she appears to be quite unassuming. She's proud of being Aboriginal, and also proud of being an Australian. She doesn't seem to suffer from the need to play the victim.

She also dresses rather modestly, although still being a touch less covered than Anthony would prefer, no doubt.



Dear Mr. Mundine, please go away. Please try to keep your mouth shut for a change, as the fact that you know everything and have all the answers is rather tiresome.

You don't.

Your petty little sniping demeans you and shows you up for the empty vessel you are.

Warm regards,

nilk.



*disclaimer: because we are living in a world of diversity and tolerance, I would like to point out that my use of this particular cliche is because it is appropriate, and not because I am a racist bigot. I personally couldn't give a toss what colour either of the subjects of this post are, and I am including this disclaimer because we are living in a world of diversity and tolerance. This means that I could be up on vilification charges for not being tolerant and diverse in this particular instance.

Rather idiotic, I know, but this is Australia in 2007, and if you'll pardon the expression, it shits me to tears that I even need to take things into this sort of minute consideration in case someone who has the right to not be offended doesn't realise that they also have the responsibility to build themselves a bridge and get over it.

4 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger MathewK said...

Mundine, one of the few times i saw him on television left me with the question, how does he walk with all those chips on his shoulders?

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder if he gives all that cold loot back to his vaunted 'bruddas' in the one true community. Hypocritical wanker.

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nilk, you put it so much more eloquently that I could.

"Fucktard Mundine's opened his gob again and dribbled shit."

Give me Miss Cathy any time above that brainless twit Mundine.

kae

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nilk,

That’s a great photo of Mundine, dressed like a street pimp. He’s got his new belt cradled in his left arm, but look closely at his red right hand.*

Index finger raised and second finger looped down to the thumb, just like Osama does it!

You dont own no money? He'll get you some
You don't have no car? he'll get you one
You dont have no self respect you feel like an insect,
Well dont you worry buddy coz here he comes
Through the ghettos and the barrio and the bowery and the slums
A shadow is cast where ever he stands
Stacks of green paper in his red right hand


*Nick Cave

splice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home